jueves, 8 de noviembre de 2012

The three major goals of my career

En Bloustein, mi facu, me citaron a una reunión para hablar de mí, de mis perspectivas en el doctorado, de lo espero y de cómo proyecto el camino para lograr todo eso. Fue una instancia preciada en la que cinco Faculty members se sentaron a escucharme y orientarme en mis proyectos. Tuve que llenar un formulario con varios datos y prospective courses para los semestres entrantes, y escribir acerca de las metas de mi carrera como futura doctora (¡suena lejano eso hoy!). Así que escribí:

"I have three major goals for my career and I hope the PhD. program could prepare me to achieve those goals.

First, I would like to do research related with energy management for sustainable development. I would like to focus my future research in the reality of developing countries like mine (Chile). I hope this doctoral program will prepare me to do research in the areas of energy management and environmental economics to achieve my goals regarding with those aspects.

Second, I really would like to contribute to the opening of a research field in public policy and planning in my country. In order to achieve that goal, I would like to take general theory courses at Bloustein to acquire an overall perspective about the policy research field in general.

Third, I would like to be prepared to take a position in the public policy field in my country. I am interested in working for the development of Chile even when that imply to take positions that could be no directly related with my future specific topic of specialization. For that, I would also like to take a couple of courses in the area of public management, governance and administration, and international economic development."

Acerca de lo que espero sea mi futura tesis/dissertation:

"I am interested in the area of energy management for sustainable development. I would like to focus my dissertation in something related to that field. I am specially interested in the reality of developing countries, and I will be more than glad if the possibility of working on that arises. 

I have a preliminary idea of what, for example, I would like to study in my doctoral research project. Maybe, I could study successful energy and environmental policies in developed countries and their environmental implications. The goal of the analysis could be to study the feasibility of adapting their energy management policies to the realities of developing countries. In Chile, our current environmental legislation allows, for example, the approval and implementation of large-scale and highly-impacting energy projects with designs that most of developed countries stopped using thirty years ago. In the same direction there are few and really basic policies providing mechanisms that secure the responsible management of  resources, preventing in this way the ability to project the country's development into the future. I think there is a lot of research that needs to be done regarding those issues.

However, that is just a preliminary idea. I am totally opened for changes and suggestions."

Quería dejar testimonio de esto aquí porque es parte de mi vida.


Carla.

No hay comentarios: